History of the Windsor Police Auxiliary Service
Between June 1945 and July 1946, six men were gruesomely attacked in a vacant field along the Detroit River what is now Crawford Avenue and Riverside Drive. The attacks resulted in three homicides and one attempted murder in a span of two weeks in the summer of 1945. This case made headlines and the suspect was dubbed "The Windsor Slasher". Two of the murder victims were stabbed repeatedly in the chest and back with a knife, one of which was slashed several times in the buttocks. The third victim was brutally beaten in the head with a hammer. A year later, in July 1946, two more men were attacked by the Jack-the Ripper style killer. However, they survived and were able to recall their stories to police. They were able to identify a suspect and the 18 year old "Windsor Slasher" was arrested. Shortly afterwards, in September 1946 the first group of volunteers to assist the Windsor Police were formed from Parks & Recreation personnel. This group was sworn in as Special Constables to patrol parks. After the swearing-in of these parks employees, a group of citizens called the "The Frontiersmen" also volunteered their services to patrol city parks as well.
The Civil Defense Police now known today as the Windsor Police Auxiliary originated in 1952, when the “Cold War” (1947-53) was in full swing. It began with a group of 12 civilians that joined what was then known as the Civil Defense Police. This group was trained in first aid, traffic control, and emergency response to help the community evacuate and survive after a nuclear attack.
The Civil Defense Police started patrolling three City parks.
A city committee on Parks, Civil Defense, and Social Services made a recommendation to the City Council of the day that they approve the authorization for employment of the Civil Defense Auxiliary Police to patrol six city parks and that they shall be paid an honorarium equivalent to $1.50 per hour.
The Minister of the Attorney General first authorized police forces to appoint auxiliary members in 1961. Prior to that, emergency support to the police of the day was provided by federal organizations such as the Emergency Measures Organization and the Civil Defense League.
The Windsor Police Force first appointed Auxiliary members in 1966.
Vandalism became a serious problem in the city parks which initiated the Windsor City Council to adopt a resolution for police cars to be instructed to routinely check upon city parks as they passed on their regular patrol and that consideration be given to the use, if necessary of the 25 men that were trained for the Auxiliary Police and that they be empowered to arrest offenders
Windsor Police Chief Glenn Stannard recognizes the Auxiliary Service for their 50 years of commitment, support and unselfish dedication to serving the citizens and the community of Windsor.
Windsor Police Auxiliary has served the community of Windsor, Ontario and the Windsor Police Service for 60 years, making it the oldest Auxiliary unit in the Province of Ontario.
Today,the 85 Windsor Police Auxiliary members still continue to be dedicated to the same ideals and principles as the original 12 men and women who volunteered to assist the Windsor Police during a time of war by joining the Civil Defense League back in 1952. We are proud to be a part of the long history of the Windsor Police Service who celebrates 150 years in 2017. The Windsor Police Auxiliary was nominated and was presented with the 2017 Mayor's Safety Award by Mayor Drew Dilkens which recognizes an individual or group that works to promote the safety of the City's neighbourhoods and communities.