Compliments | Public Complaints
The Windsor Police Service welcomes your feedback, both positive and negative, concerning the actions of our members. If you've recently observed a member of the WPS going that extra mile we'd like to here from you.
We'll make sure that the deed does not go unacknowledged.
Please let us know how we're doing by sending us an e-mail.
Helpful information to include:
- Your name
- E-mail address
- Phone Number
- Officer's name and badge number
- Details of the commendation
There are two types of complaints that can be made:
- Against the policies of, or services provided by the Windsor Police Service
- Against the conduct of a Windsor Police Service officer
The administration of public complaints will be overseen by the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD), an arms-length civilian agency of the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General. The OIPRD is responsible for receiveing, overseeing, monitoring, and dealing with all public complaints against police in Ontario.
Complaints may be filed in serveral ways:
- Visit the OIPRD website to make a complaint online;
- Attend at any police station in Ontario. The public complaint process will be explained. Additional local resolutions, which are part of the OIPRD process, may also be offered at that time.
- Contact the OIPRD by telephone at 1-877-411-4773 to request complaint forms be sent to you. Once completed and signed, they may be sent to the OIPRD.
If you require further assistance or would like to speak to the Windsor Police Service's Professional Standards Branch about your concerns regarding the policies of the services provided by the WPS, or about the conduct of a WPS police officer, you can contact the office at (226) 674-1360.
You may also attend the Professional Standards Branch office at: 2nd Floor - 250 Windsor Avenue.
E-mail should NOT be used for reporting crimes, requesting Police assistance, or Freedom of Information requests. Please call WPS Dispatch at 519-258-6111 for any of the above.